Stansted is a Grade II Listed Edwardian country house set on a 1,800-acre estate within the South Downs National Park. The house began as a hunting lodge in the 11th century, but was developed over many hundreds of years.
Stansted Park first existed as a hunting lodge in the ancient forest of Arundel, built here about 800 years ago for Roger, first Earl of Arundel. In 1181 the first recorded dwelling on the site of the present chapel was built for Henry II. The buildings were restored in 1480 by the 12th Earl of Arundel but these buildings were largely destroyed during the Civil War in 1644.